"Worst 8 days of my life"

About: St Mary's Hospital (Manchester)

Few members of staff whom were caring.

Midwives attitudes, bedside manner

The 8 days I spent in there after my first baby was born was the worst of my life. My baby would not breastfeed and the midwives either gave up or just couldn't be bothered. As one midwife told me 'I have 8 other women to look after so I cant help you breastfeed' and left a crying baby and mother. They simply didn't care that my baby had lost too much weight and had jaundice, they decided to formula feed him instead to make their own lives easier.

Also I was given several contradicting bits of advice regarding how I should feed my baby. I was told to 'just keep trying to b-feed', express, just give the baby formula, make fresh feeds each time, don't bother making fresh feeds just keep them in the fridge.

I cant go into a hospital now without getting angry and upset.

Response from St Mary's Hospital

We are very sorry to receive your comments and concerns via the NHS choices website. It is very difficult to respond to the specific concerns you have raised without being able to investigate in detail. We take all issues surrounding patient care very seriously. If you want to raise this issue please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 0161 276 8686 or by e-mailing pals@cmft.nhs.uk.