"Patients Meeting August 2012"

About: Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

(as a staff member posting for a patient/service user),

Patients spoke about the ward, the staff and the care on ward B50

The tv is always on and although some people like this  it's difficult to please everyone"

It would be good to have better DAB reception on the radio.

The mythical gym where is it? Staff said it was on A floor but you need be assessed to go. Sandra Crawford at Highbury was going to chase this up for when the ward moves.. Can you contact Sandra for us?

When are patients going to move wards? Staff are not sure when.

Volunteers are still not taking patients out as much as they would like preffering to do activities. Please can you chase this up?

Response from Joanna Rapson, Volunteering & Befriending Manager, Volunteering & Befriending, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust

Many thanks for your feedback regarding the volunteers on B50. Without knowing your exact circumstances I cannot comment on "Volunteers are still not taking patients out as much as they would like preferring to do activities." However I hope the following may be of assistance. The normal role for a ward visitor is to come to the ward and chat to the patients, play games and do activities. If the patient they are with is an informal patient then they can if they wish leave the ward with them and go for a cup of coffee etc. However if the patient needs an escort then unfortunately a volunteer cannot take them off the ward as they aren’t a paid member of staff.

I hope this is an acceptable response. We are always grateful for any feedback from people who see our volunteers. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact me at joanna.rapson@nottshc.nhs.uk

Dear Ward B50 . Sandra has asked me to pass this meassage on to you all.,

'I met with the patients on B50 some time ago, when they were concerned about the lack of a Gym on the QMC site. I reported back there are no facilities at QMC even with Adult Mental Health Services, There will be more opportunities for fresh air and exercise once the ward is relocated at the Highbury site in Bulwell and access to Gym facilities for patients has already been negotiated for Mental Health Services for Older Peoples services.

We still have a few minor details to overcome but they should be resolved soon

Hope this is helpful .

Sandra Crawford

Deputy Divisional Nurse

Moorgreen House

Highbury Hospital

Response from Helen Smith, AHP lead, Mental health services for older people, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust

Thanks again to the patients for speaking to the Involvement Team and letting us know what concerns them about the ward.

If I might pick up on 2 of the issues raised. Firstly, the move to Highbury Hospital is scheduled for the second week in December, however, as you can imagine we are dependant on contractors and workmen completing work on time or supplies and goods being delivered to a set time frame, so there is much that can cause delays. The new ward will be for female patients only, male patients will be admitted to Daybrook Ward at St Francis Unit on the City Hospital Campus. I will keep you all posted on developments.

Secondly if I could let you know that there is a small gym here (Autumn Leaves on A Floor South Block)at the QMC, specifically set up for our patients to use under the supervision of the physiotherapy team. If anyone would like to use this facility, could they speak to a member of staff or to the physio team? I gather that patients who use the gym must undergo an assessment to ensure their safety. Links have been made regarding the use of The Maples Gym at Highbury Hospital for when the ward moves.

Thank you again for your comments and concerns, please keep them coming! Your thoughts are invaluable to our service provision and help us to make it user friendly.

Helen Forrester