"New patient transport service"

About: Crosshouse Hospital Scottish Ambulance Service

I think that the newly started scheme where the patient has to book their own transport is a total mess. I have been attending out patients clinics for 50 years,

because of my disability transport has never been an issue. Now you have to phone glasgow, wait ages for a response and are asked what seems like endless questions before the call handler might decide you don't qualify for transport. If this happens you are called back by an officer who at least knows what they are talking about to get the transport arranged.

Then removing staff from clinics make the wait for transport home much longer.

Whoever thought this scheme was an improvement was wrong.

Response from Sharon Hammell, Head of Corporate Affairs and Engagement, Scottish Ambulance Service

Dear Zodiac

I'm sorry you think the new arrangements for our Patient Transport Service (PTS) are a mess.

The new direct patient booking line has been designed to improve patient access to to PTS. I understand that the volume of calls at the begining of the new arrangements caused difficulties for some our patients. We now have additional staff trained and in place in order to resolve this. The questions asked are designed to ensure that our PTS resources are focused on the people whose medical and mobiity needs mean they need help from ambulance staff to get to and from their appointment. We have also installed new technology on PTS vehicles, which is designed to help ensure we are able to get vehicles and staff to patients to get them back home as quickly as possible.

Reading your feedback, it looks like you have experienced some difficulties, for which I apologise, and confirm that measures are in place to improve the situation. If your care arrangements haven't been resolved to your satisfaction, please fill in a complaint form on our feedback pages at the web address below. That way we can look into your specific arrangements and follow up with you directly.

Response from Craig White, Assistant Director, Nurse Directorate, NHS Ayrshire and Arran We are preparing to make a change

Dear Zodiac

I have been reviewing all of the responses made on the Patient Opinion site and wanted to thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. I am eager to learn more about how, from our local Health Board perspective, we can review feedback on satisfaction with the Patient Transport Service to support discussions and shared improvement work with colleagues where this is identified as necessary.

I will speak with the senior staff in our Board and within the Scottish Ambulance Service to see if there are any further actions needed.

Best wishes