"Bladder weakness after childbirth."

About: Locala Community Partnerships CIC / Continence advisory service

After having 2 children I started to notice that I couldn't run or sneeze without leaking urine. I visited my local doctor and was referred to the continence clinic.

I got an appointment really quickly and was diagnosed with a grade 3 prolapse. After only 3 sessions of physio over 4 months, I have started running to keep fit and feel really confident.

The doctor I saw was amazing and made me feel really comfortable as it is never pleasant dealing with "women's troubles". It was just a case of learning how to do the exercises correctly and sticking to a daily routine. It taught me that you don't have to live with bladder incontinence, you can do something about it! (with a little help from a good doctor).

Response from Gemma Fowler, Integrated Governance Clinical Manager, Locala Community Partnerships

Many thanks for your feedback which has been shared with Jane Appleyard, Continence Specialist Physiotherapist who says the following:

‘ It's great to receive such positive feedback. Women often believe they have to put up with bladder problems after childbirth. Most of the women I see in the continence clinic can get back to enjoying taking part in exercise as well as feeling confident to run around after their children. They just need a specialist pelvic floor muscle assessment and to be given a tailor made exercise routine.

Anyone in Kirklees with concerns about bladder weakness can refer themselves directly to Locala continence service just by ringing 01484 415515

Thanks