"Problems with sleeping pills and antidepressants"

About: Tameside and Glossop PCT

I was prescribed the same drugs for about 15 years.

I first lived in Denton, Manchester, where I was first prescribed these drugs. Largely pain killers and a low strength sleeping pill. I moved to Urmston where I continued on the same drugs. I was contented and quite happy.

Then I returned to Denton to the same practice, this time they told me that everything I have been taking for 15 years is doing me no good. They told me antidepressants and more pain killers is the way to go. I have never felt so bad, the worse I felt the stronger the antidepressants they gave me, I was becoming a drug junky and a pain killer addict.

All the drugs they were pouring down me surely had a bigger risk of affecting my internal organs and I don't know about antidepressants, I was feeling depressed! I am 67, if I am happy taking a sleeping pill I should be allowed to. If I carry on like this I will be going to sleep for a lot longer than one night!

Response from Peter Denton, LINk Manager, Tameside LINk

Dear Quazar1000,

I'm posting on behalf of Tameside LINk (Local Invovement Network). We are independent of the NHS and Social Services and we exist to help them to improve their services as a result of patient/service user experiences and comments.

I have been asked by NHS Tameside and Glossop to respond on behalf of their complaints and PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) team.

They say that you're welcome to contact their Customer Service: PALS and Complaints team on 0161 304 5325, or email complaints-team@tamesideandglossop.nhs.uk for information and advice.

I hope you manage to resolve this to your satisfaction.

Best wishes.