"Staff need skills in helping behaviour change"

About: Northern General Hospital / Gastroenterology

I have been receiving treatment from the Biometrics team at NGH.

Like most health care, the treatment involves me changing my behaviour yet the person I saw (name and job title not given) did not seem to know how to help someone to change. Helping someone to change their behaviour is difficult but there is lots of evidence about how to motivate and support people which is not about information giving.

An information giving model does not work, yet I suspect that this is the dominant way that most hospital staff work. Given people's behaviour is at the roots of so many illnesses (obesity, diabetes, heart disease, cancer etc) surely hospital staff need to have the skills to do this well?

It would make the rest of their care better too!

Response from Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for taking the time and effort to share your comments.

It is always useful when we receive suggestions on how we can improve the services we provide and your feedback will be shared with senior managers in the Biometrics team.

Update posted by Kate3 (the patient)

Thank you for your response.

It is great that you got back to me but this seems rather a standard response from STH. It would be good to hear from the team itself as well as finding out what STH policy and practice is about behaviour change in general.

I look forward to hearing from you again.