"Turnover of staff and appointments at dentist"

About: NHS Shetland

I never see the same Dentist for treatment (which is what I want). I get the impression they all seem to like it here, then they are moved to Lerwick and then they leave! What is going on?

I cannot get seen at the dentist as it seems there are no dentists available and if there are emergency situations (which mine is not...yet) then the only option is to travel to Lerwick... why when there are 3 spaces for dentists locally?

At the same time, there is something in the paper about services being better and dentists being recruited. But I feel that the ones we had are leaving. Me and my family have seen 4 or 5 in this last year.This means our treatment is stopping and starting.

Response from Carolyn Hand, Corporate Services Manager/Complaints Officer, Chief Executive's Department, NHS Shetland We are preparing to make a change

I am sorry you have experienced difficulties. We currently have vacancies for dentists at Brae after staff have left to move south and the closing date for applications was 31st July 2012. We are therefore hoping to be able to interview shortly. In the meantime, interim arrangements are in place to ensure that anyone needing dental care urgently is seen in Brae and if you have a particular dental need that is outstanding, I would urge you to contact the Dental Practice in Brae.

Lisa Sutherland, Service Manager Primary Care