"Hard to hear my name being called"

About: North Devon District Hospital / Accident and emergency

I was on holiday for a week and advised by the chemist to attend hospital. I had a fall four weeks ago and my knee was very sore and swollen and I had difficulty walking.

The parking was dreadful. I has been waiting 15 minutes and was prepared for a wait, however I was not told how long to expect to wait. It was difficult to hear my name being called, whereas in my hospital at home there is an electronic system.

However, I understand that staff can only do so much with limited resources.

Dear lizard3000

Thank you for taking time to comment on your recent visit to NDDH. I was sorry to hear you had to take time out of your holiday, to visit us and then had difficulty with parking. We are very aware of the problems patients have recently been experiencing with parking, especially during busy clinic days.

In order to ease this situation we have added more public car parking, and these extra spaces will be available to the public from the end of July. We also have plans to further extend the public parking, and this should be up and running by the end of the year.

I'm sorry you weren't told how long the wait was during your Emergency Department (A&E) visit, and note your feedback about improving the patient call system. I am pleased to be able to report that the ED department are currently looking at a complete re-development of the waiting area and current systems in use, and I have passed your comments on to the project team, who are always grateful for patient feedback.