About: Darent Valley Hospital Darent Valley Hospital Dartford DA2 8DA
Posted by Anonymous
What I liked
Consultants operated 12 hours after my shoulder break and at midnight and "saved my arm".
Ambulance ladies were superb, efficient and caring
What could be improved
1. Compassion at A&E reception. Completely uncaring of the pain I was in and only the intervention of the ambulance personnel helped me get seen to after about 1 hour and get morphine etc.
2. Not being turned away by the hospital's "rapid response unit?" with the comment " I'm not taking him and I'll wheel him back to A&E myself" - which he did!
3. Breakfast and lunch being delivered and removed without me eating it. I could not reach or feed myself. No help offered.
4. Information that there was a push button bell to summon help and it being placed where it could have been reached
5. My urine waste bottle not being left next to grapes until my wife removed 7 hours later!
6. Generally unclean in the immediate vicinity
7.Waiting and occupying a bed from doctors discharge at 8am until 5pm when the papers were ready
8. As there was no care, any improvement at all would be welcome
9. Follow up treatment over the next 6 months visiting the consultant - reduce the two to three hour wait for a two minute (max) consultation. Get organised!
10. Reception next to ward. Suggest a course in how to be more courteous and dealing with people.
The important thing (operation) superb but all other treatment of a very low standard. This was my first time in hospital in my 65 years of life so should I have been so shocked?
A huge improvement could be made with no extra expenditure.