"Upset by racist comment on B3 ward"

About: Queen's Medical Centre / Cardiology

I went into QMC, to ward B3 earlier this year. I suffer from lots of heart problems, everything was going great, the doctors were amazing, and so were some of the nurses.

But one of the nurses was very racist to a patient. When speaking to another nurse she described her as ''trying to inject her bum with all that excess rhino skin''. When I looked across at which patient they referred to, the patient was a slightly big black lady. This is very disturbing as in the 21st century different races are still being pointed out, yet this certain nurse is becoming a sister who coordinates the whole ward. God help the different races of people who are under her care.

As an mixed race lady, half Indian, half black, I can't stand racist people. But when I wanted to speak to a senior member of the ward staff, they came up to me and walked off. I have never in my 36 years of living in the UK ever been treated like this :(

It is very worrying when you think about everyone who comes under their care. So when I then asked an auxiliary nurse to call that person back she explained they were busy and will come when they have a minute, which I understand. But I was on B3 for 2 days, 24 hours a day, and in that time the staff member still didnt come to me. I have taken this up with the chief executive.

Response from Nottingham University Hospitals Trust

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback regarding your stay on ward B3. We are extremely concerned to read about some of the issues you have raised with us regarding racist comments.

I am pleased you have contacted our Chief Executive so that this can be looked into with relevant colleagues. Should you require any additional support please don’t hesitate to contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Services Team on 0800 183 0204.

Jim Murray, Clinical Lead, Acute Medicine