"Delayed referral by my GP"

About: Leatside Surgery Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital (Wonford) / General surgery

I had an appointment at Royal Devon and Exeter with a specialist, which was wonderful and extraordinarily efficient. We established that there was nothing wrong with my knee, as suspected, but that the problem lay with my back. So the consultant said they would write to my GP to make me a new referral for the spinal specialist.

Having not heard anything for sometime, I contacted the surgery to see if a letter had been received - it had, and I had to get the receptionist to read it to me over the phone. No action had been taken by my GP at all, even though the letter had been received some time ago. In the end, I had to request another GP in order to get the referral made, which I found very unsatisfactory.

Response from Jo Curtis, Patient Engagement Lead, Engagement Team, South Devon and Torbay CCG

Dear moon45,

I'm glad to hear you had such a good experience at the Royal Devon and Exeter. I'm sorry that there has been some difficulty with this care being followed up by your GP. I know Leatside surgery would like to make sure their processes are as robust as possible, so would like the opportunity to look into what went wrong in your situation.

To help them do this, please could you contact Janine Payne, Strategic Business Manager at Leatside and give her your details so they can investigate? This would really help them understand the problem, stop it happening again, and make sure you are getting the right care and treatment.

Janine can be contacted on Janine.payne@nhs.net or 01803 860304.

If you would prefer this to be handled in an alternative way, please let me know on this website.

Thank you for taking the time to do this.

Kind regards,