"Consistently mediocre"

About: Darent Valley Hospital

Have just spent most of the day in the surgical day care unit with my son and it is not an experience either of us would wish to repeat. From the patronising anaesthetist through to staff who spent the day talking about the weather, family and the difference between cats and dogs it was often difficult to find out what was going on or what would happen after surgery had taken place. Having little posters on a wall does not in my view act as a good substitute for good patient care. As a former nurse I appreciate how busy staff are but as the parent of a patient I would have expected more.

Response from Darent Valley Hospital

I am very sorry indeed that you had such a poor experience. Communication and reassurance are essential to good patient care and I am very sorry that the staff were not able to provide you with better support. I will ensure your comments are shared with the staff so they are aware of your feedback. I note you do not leave your name and address but should you wish to contact me personally, please feel free to do so.

Jenny Kay