"Serious Undiagnosed Pain in Pregnancy"

About: Tiverton and District Hospital / General surgery

I awoke with severe back pain, barely able to move, and was 18 weeks pregnant. I couldnt get an appointment with my doctor or get any of my midwife team to respond to voicemails or get appointments so I called Tiverton hospital.

They told me to come in straight away but warned there were long waits as they also had their fracture clinic on that morning.

I got there they remembered me calling, reception sat me down offered me water a nurse reassured me almost instantly and the wait was about 10 mins which was amazingly quick as the waiting room was full. Everyone listened to me reassured me as I was quite concerned as my 'bump' felt different!

Turns out at my 12 week scan a urine infection had been picked up. my doctor had contacted me about this the friday before I came in which was over 4 weeks since the infection was picked up and as it had been left untreated had reached my kidneys! The hospital staff were brilliant and gave me a prescription and said it would take a few days but then should ease. They informed me that there was pain relief available in pregnancy (I was not aware I could still take paracetamol.) told me exactly what I needed to do and then found the babys heartbeat to reassure me!

I was very upset and with my 2 year old and everyone was so calming and reassuring they could not have handled my situation any better and a larger hospital would not have been able to offer me the same service and reassurance. Its a great hospital.

Response from Natalie Stone, Patient Engagemennt and Experience Co-ordinator, Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for taking the time to feedback on your recent experience of Tiverton Hospital. It is so pleasing to hear that you were seen to so quickly and in a way that made you feel at ease. I will ensure your comments are passed to the department concerned.