"An Appointment letter from South Staffordshire Memory Service"

About: South Staffordshire And Shropshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust / Older people's mental health

(as a carer),

My husband, who has Dementia, received a letter giving him an appointment date. The letter, from a service new to him, addressed him using his first name. Both he and I found this manner of address over familiar! He is 76 and we, and I suspect many other patients, are of the generation which expects to be addressed as Mr. or Mrs. by people other than their friends. Old age does not mean that you have to be treated as children.

I feel that this is symptomatic of an attitude of mind and I object.

Response from Sunita Roberts, South Staffordshire and Shropshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Carer

Many thanks for placing your posting on the Patient Opinion website. We are sorry to read of your recent experience when receiving a letter from the Memory Service. I am sure you will appreciate that we provide Memory Services within South Staffordshire & Shropshire, and therefore to enable us to share your concern with the appropriate Team, it would be appreciated if you could please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Team on telephone number (01785) 221499 who will take the issue forward on your behalf.

Thank you for sharing your concern and I would apologise for any upset the letter has caused you.