"Very positive experience of Direct Access - helping with alcohol"

About: Carers Federation / Regents House Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust / Addiction services (community)

(as a staff member posting for a patient/service user),

I recently sought help from my GP in relation to some problems I was experiencing with alcohol. I have recently has some problems with relationships and with work related isses and thing that I have been using alcohol to cope with my problems.

My GP referred me to Direct Access and I was very quickly given an appointment to see a worker there. I have found the meeting with my worker very positive. The help and advice I have been given has been very helpful in terms of me getting my drinking under control, hence I do not expect to be using the service for very long as I am now feeling much better.

I have found my worker to be very personable and approachable. The appointment booking system has proved to be very good.

I am really glad to hear that you are getting better as a result of Direct Access being involved.

It would be good to share this posting with your GP as it is always pleasing to hear that the right referrral was made for you and that you are benefitting from the service. I will pass this onto the Direct Access team.

Many thanks again for your feedback.

Response from David Hitchmough, Team Leader, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

Thankyou for taking the time to post your comments about the Direct Access service. I am pleased that we responded in a timely way, that you have developed a relationship with your worker that has enabled you to benefit from the support offered, and that your health is improving as a result. I hope that other service users in a similar position will take inspiration from your posting, and realise that there are services that can help. All the best in your recovery