"Poor service until Patients Advisory Liaison..."

About: Princess Alexandra Hospital (Harlow)

Wife was left for 38 hours on nil by mouth. Had to ask 3 times to get fluids level upped as feelign thrirsty. Ended up with a headache and sore throat because fluids porrly managed. So much s when she finally did see the surgeon he suggested we complain.

Level of care was only upped to anythign like acceptable once I rasied concerns with the Patients Advisory Liaison Service, upon which things improved markedly.

Comments from Matrn once she got ionvolved'your fluids have been mess, but will now improve'

Comments from surgeon on ward round - He was really angry with theatre as he couldnt do all the surgery he wanted to - he should have 8 cases & only did 3. I should have gone down 1.5hrs ago but they told him that they didn't have enough equipment for me. He then addressed his team & said this is how patient care is suffering because of other dept ineptitude.

In additon, tjhe ward provides phone/tv/raido services only to 4 out of the 5 beds, leaving my wife feeling isolated - couldnt call people, bored - no TV/radio and inferior to the rest of the ward attendees. Cant understand why the same level of service is not provided to all on the ward.

Response from Princess Alexandra Hospital

We are very sorry to hear that you had a bad experience at the Princess Alexandra Hospital.

We would like to give reassurance that your comments have been shared with with the Surgical Ward staff and Senior Management teams to look at how we can improve on the aspects of care you have raised with us.

We are always looking at ways to improve the service we provide and would like to thank you for taking the time to give your very valued feedback.