"Unnecessary delays in orthopaedics, Forth Valley Royal Hospital"

About: Forth Valley Royal Hospital / Orthopaedics

Every time I visit this clinic the average waiting time is 3 hours!! And this is not isolated. Others complain as well, and a member of my family experiences this when she attends as well. What is most irritating is that the face to face time you spend getting seen is approximately 15 mins, and that's being generous. The reception staff are often rude and this all doesn't make for a pleasant clinic.

I do not see why they haven't done something about this. I work for the NHS myself and I can't believe something as simple as reducing waiting time in this clinic has not been reviewed. A simple solution, would be certainly for a follow up appointment would be to allow the option for the patient to leave the hospital after their x-ray and for the consultant to telephone you with their opinion.

This is very simple and effective. My experience yesterday would have been much improved. Instead, my appointments generally go like this; attend for appointment. Wait an hour. Move to x-ray department. Wait 15-20 minutes. Have x-ray. Move back to orthopaedics. Wait 45-90 minutes for "discussion" with doctor; "Yup, its still broken". Back to waiting room for new plaster. Wait 15-30 minutes. Get new plaster. Go home.

Poor, poor service with such simple solutions.

Response from Arlian Mallis, Person Centred Health and Care Co-ordinator, Department of Nursing, NHS Forth Valley

Many thanks for sharing your experience with us, I have directed your story to the appropriate department and await their reply. I will get back to you as soon as possible.

In the meantime I would be happy to discuss the issues in person if that would be of any help - Arlian

contact 01324624000 ext 5252

Thanks again for your posting, we are disappointed that you found our staff to be discourteous we expect all our patients to be made feel welcome and be met with a polite and friendly manner. I apologise that this was not your experience. I have spoken with the leads from the clinics who have asked that to provide a useful response specific details around the date and time of your appointment would be helpful. If you wish to discuss further I would be happy to talk with you or to put you in contact with appropriate personnel.

Arlian