"More training required for blood test operatives."

About: Herts & Essex Community Hospital

I had a blood test for Potassium levels at lunchtime. I then received a call from a GP to say I needed to go to A&E immediately as the level was high. However at the hospital the level was normal. The hospital said it could have been the way the blood test was taken and tested. As this is the third time this has happened to me I feel the operatives should receive more training on how to take the tests more carefully, and the samples processed more carefully too, as the potassium level can be directly affected by too vigorous handling.

I can't complain at the speed of the response to the high reading or the treatment I received at the hospital but I am aware of the fact that I was taking up time and resources when I did not need to.

Response from Head of Patient Engagement, Patient Safety and Quality, The Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust

At The Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust we strive to provide the best possible care and to meet the expectations of all of our patients.

If ever you need any help or feel you have any questions which remain unanswered, please do call our PALS team on 01279 827084 and - we will do everything we possibly can to help.