"patient neglect over transport"

About: Inverclyde Royal Hospital / Accident & Emergency Scottish Ambulance Service

(as a friend),

my friend was taken by ambulance to inverclyde. she has had 2 heart attacks and was suffering severe pains. she was told at 2.30 am she could go home but she told nurses she had no means of transport or money and was left to sit downstairs in main foyer

Response from Paul Cannon, Head of Administration, Acute Services Division, Greater Glasgow & Clyde NHS

Thank you for sharing your friends experience having recently been brought to the A&E department at Inverclyde Royal Hospital. Unfortunately it is the patients responsibility to arrange to get home having been brought in as an emergency, but we do understand that this can be difficult especially at that time of night. You didn’t indicate whether you asked A&E staff for assistance as there are arrangements they can make in exceptional circumstances. It is not clear whether this was explored.

In any event I do sympathise with your predicament however my understanding is that the Ambulance Service do not routinely provide return patient journeys after bringing patients to A&E departments.

Response from Sharon Hammell, Head of Corporate Affairs and Engagement, Scottish Ambulance Service

Thank you for sharing the care experience of your friend. I hope she was able to make arrangements to return home without too much delay, and is feeling better.

I'd just like to confirm what Pauls says above. Use of both our Accident and Emergency ambulances and our Patient Transport Service ambulances are focused on patients who require medical help and support, and it isn't normal practice to take someone home, after taking them to a hospital A&E departments.

Again, I hope your friend is much better.