"Hard to get appointment at Lerwick Health Centre"

About: NHS Shetland

(as other),

My boyfriend has repeatedly tried to get an appointment at Lerwick health centre.

Unfortunately he has been unable to get an appointment on each occasion he has tried. The appointment system at Lerwick health centre feels inconsistent and confusing for patients.

As a result he is now reluctant to try to visit his GP again as it feels like he will never be seen and will end up wasting his time.

Response from Carolyn Hand, Corporate Services Manager/Complaints Officer, Chief Executive's Department, NHS Shetland

I am sorry that your boyfriend has experienced problems in getting an appointment. We run a system whereby anyone who has an urgent need is seen on the day at either an emergency clinic or a walk in clinic. If your boyfriend wishes to see a particular GP that may result in him having to wait longer, as the particular GP may be on leave or covering other clinical duties, such as in the hospital. I would encourage your boyfriend to contact us, and if he wishes to ask for me personally so that I can resolve this matter for him satisfactorily.

Lisa Sutherland, Primary Care Service Manager