"A terrible, anxious experience in Rheumatology"

Patients should be treated with respect by all medical staff. The consultant I saw in rheumatology was cold, detached and did not seem interested in helping me at all. He spoke to me as if I were stupid and whenever I tried to get involved with my care, he was rude, abrupt and disdainful. I used to leave appointments in tears. Patients should be made to feel comfortable, relaxed and happy, receive empathetic and compassionate treatment from consultants; patients should also be involved in their care and should be treated with respect, patience, dignity and like a human being. I never saw any of this. I also have lupus and myositis - complex conditions, which require complex management - consultant seemed out of his depth and uninterested.

I will be making a complaint to PALS now that I am strong enough to.

I travel 120 miles to London, rather than the one mile to this hospital for treatment. That pretty much says it all. I was very ill last year due to the treatment I received at this hospital, but thankfully I am now very well thanks to my new treatment elsewhere, where I am treated with respect and involved in my own care.

Response from Loughborough Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your experience. We are very sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. Please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service at pals@leicspart.nhs.uk if you wish to discuss this further. Thank you