"Let down by after care."

About: Queen Alexandra Hospital

I went to B5 maternity ward with my pregnant daughter, she was delivered 18.03.2012.

My complaint is her post natal care, the care by the community midwifes.

My daughter hasnt had a visit what so ever and today is 23.03.2012.

Today my daughter had to drive to a sure start centre to see a midwife for my grandsons heel prick. I made it clear how bad my daughters after care had been and shared my concerns about her stiches and not being able to feed my grandson herself due to no after care.

We were then sent back down to portsmouth to where my daughter had her baby, more travelling for my unwell daughter.

The midwife exlplained this is the way forward for midwifery.

No after care for vunerable new mothers. this is unexceptable.

My daughter is now on anti biotics which were prescibed by her doctor after being advised her stiches were infected at the hospital.

My daughter has also lost the experience of breast feeding her son as she had no help and was too uncomfortable from her infection.

More complaints need to be made about the post natal care or lack of.

Mothers and babies will suffer if the path forward is at the expense of themselves.

Disgusted and disappointed.

Response from Queen Alexandra Hospital

I was very sorry to hear about your daughters experience. I have discussed with our midwifery team and they would encourage your daughter to share her experience with them in order that we can learn from her feedback. To do this she can contact our PALS service:

Telephone us on: Freephone 0800 917 6039