"basically, a good job, but could have been better..."

About: The Heart Hospital

Efficient and friendly nursing staff, for the most part.

Overnight accommodation for relatives.

We arrived on a sunday evening at 7pm after a 4h 45m journey. (engineering works on railway). We went to our room then to thekitchen for a cup of tea. We had brought tea bags. There was a kettle but no milk or teaspoons and a warning of eviction if we should use the fridge contents.

The room was cold as the window had been left open. It warmed up when we put heat on and closed the window. There were only 3 blankets for two beds. A tv would have helped.

we found a vending machine downstairs with decent tea.

I was due on the ward by 8 am so there were no facilities open for my hsband to have breakfast. Subsequent meals there were tasty and good value.

I have Parkinson's disease. The nursing staff were exemplary in ensuring I had my medication on time.

I donot htink enough consideration was given to my Parkinson's problemsduring the procedure.The sedative did nothng to control my tremor.

I was distressed for the entire 2 hrs and required morphine to complete the process.

back on the ward was kept on my back for a further 2-3 hrs then was able to get up and use the toilet. Unfortunately my groin sites started bleeding again so I was flat again for 3 hrs.. My tremor was acute during this period.. I had difficulty swallowing and taking medication..

I think I needed more sedation.

I have mild continence problems and wear pads and was a little scared to find out I would be without knickers for 18 hrs.

The nursing staff were supportive during this time.

Response from The Heart Hospital

Thanks you very much for your comments. We recognise our relative's accomodation is not of a sufficiently high standard and as such, we are redecorating the area in March / April 2012. In order to keep the price of the accomodation reasonable, we only provide the 'basics' on site but we should have informed you of this before your stay. I was also sorry to hear that you felt that your parkinsons disease was not as well managed as it could have been and I have raised your concerns with the Cath Lab team to see if there are any lessons that could be learnt from your experience.