"I went in Rotherham DG for surgery "

About: Rotherham Hospital / General surgery

I had a laparoscopic Nissen fundoplication operation, because of an Hiatus Hernia.

The surgeon and theatre staff were brilliant, and so were most of the nurses. The only worry I had was went one nurse came round with the medication and could not have read the notes properly. All my medication had to be soluble for me to swallow, one nurse who seemed in a hurry, started to give me paracetamol (hard tablets) until I pointed out to her I could not swallow. This could have been very painful had I not realised and told her.

The Surgeon was very good and nurses too on the whole.

Maybe patients are sent home too soon now though.

Response from Grace Oldfield, Patient Involvement Manager, Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust

Dear ladyjane, thank you for your posting on Patients Opinion. We very much appreciate patient feedback and are pleased to know that in general our medical and nursing staff were excellent and able to provide the care and support you needed when you had your operation. However, we are concerned to learn of your experience when it came to taking your medication, for which we apologise. We will, of course, remind staff of their responsibility to check prescriptions for the required method of delivery. Our Patient Services Department have been made aware of your concerns in this respect and if you would like to contact them direct on either complaints@rothgen.nhs.uk or 01709 424461, they will be able to look further into this on your behalf.

Regarding your query around length of stay in hospital, we are able to confirm that work is currently being undertaken in this area, which involves looking at length of stay, to ensure that the right criteria is being used to make sure patients are discharged at the right time using access to community services as appropriate.

With best wishes,