"Feedback for the department of Nutrition and Dietetics"

About: Adult community services / Nutrition and dietetics

(as a carer),

I tried to order a prescription/delivery of the milk required for my child and was told it was too early to order the prescription and I would have to call back at a later date. When I did call back, I only had a few days worth of milk left, but again was told I couldn't order due to it being too early. I did explain that I was running out. The lady on the phone said she would have to get approval to release the prescription!! and that she would get back to me? this was on a Wednesday, which meant if it had gone through ok I would have had my delivery on the Friday. As I had not heard anything I assumed all was ok a but called the following day to check, I was told the order had gone in that morning and delivery would go through for Monday. This was no good as I would run out of milk by the Saturday. I did explain this but the women on the phone just said did I have any other milk to give my child? . I ended up giving formula milk over the weekend until the delivery arrived.

I felt that I was being called a liar and that I was using too much milk, I did call the dietician to complain and she said it was due to prescriptions being dated in accordance with the amount sent, I did explain that I had only received about 3 weeks worth not the 4 that they thought I was getting. Also the lady on the phone then had to get permission to issue the prescription which lead to the delay. Since then a note has been placed on file to release a prescription when asked. I feel I shouldn't have had to go through this and the person on the phone should have permission to issue prescriptions, rather then question the patient when she doesn't know the situation.

Response from Grace Oldfield, Patient Involvement Manager, Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust

Dear nicnic, thank you for your posting on Patients Opinion. We welcome patient feedback and are concerned to learn about the problems you have experienced around your child’s milk prescriptions.

Our Dietetics Service has very stringent rules within which they operate when assessing and prescribing infant milk products. When a child is started on infant milk, they will assess the amount required on a monthly basis. However, if that amount is used before the next order is due, they are not able to release products early/give any further advice until they have had an opportunity to undertake a re-assessment of the infant's needs. If there is only a limited amount of feed prescribed, then parents or carers need to contact the Dietitian who may be able to advise you on additional products that may be purchased until the next order is received.

Perhaps under the circumstances you could contact our Paediatric Dietitian’s direct on 01709 424297, who will be able to provide support around your child’s needs.

With best wishes,