"I have come across a lot of discrimination"

About: NHS 24 Scottish Ambulance Service

I have a history, among other health issues, of mental illness and because of the 'label'attached to me, I come across so much discrimination by many NHS personnel who believe I don't have a brain that functions 'normally'.

Therefore I am expected to accept the insulting and offensive behaviour shown to persons such as myself regarded a 'nutter'.

These words were used in my presence when 2 ambulance crew came to my home in order to take me into hospital following a GP visit when I was experiencing severe respiratory problems. Subsequent calls to NHS 24 when PHYSICALLY unwell usually end when I'm asked if I'd 'like a cpn to give me a call'.

I'm literally 'sick' of the discriminatory platitudes and now do not phone or allow my PA to call for medical advice/assistance when my need for said is obvious.

It may be regarded that the decision is my choice - it is my choice not to feel degraded, insulted and worthless. Therefore, I will probably die because of my choice but I would rather that than the aforementioned statement.

Response from Sharon Hammell, Head of Corporate Affairs and Engagement, Scottish Ambulance Service

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I apologise for the behaviour of Scottish Ambulance Service staff while you were in their care.

We would really like to learn from your experience. Would you be wiling to talk to us in more detail about how you have been treated? If you feel up to this, please contact me at National Headquarters in Edinburgh. The telephone number is 0131 314 0000.

Response from Shona Lawrence, Patient Affairs Manager, NHS 24

NHS 24 welcomes feedback and I would like to thank you for sharing your experience of our service. If you feel it would be helpful, I would be happy for you to contact me directly regarding your experience and I would be pleased to further investigate your issues. I can be contacted on 0141 337 4582.

Shona Lawrence