"South Petherton Hospital is a model for all to aim for"

About: South Petherton Hospital Specialist mental health services / Support time and recovery services Yeovil District Hospital / Accident and emergency Yeovil District Hospital / General medicine

My husband had a stroke and was admitted via A&E to Yeovil District hospital. Whilst very poorly with total one side paralysis he was often left for long periods (longest timed 1hr 30min) with the bell not being answered until he had wet or soiled himself. Whilst poorly he still had dignity but this was soon stripped away when it was stated that it would be easier if he wore a nappy. He was considerably confused and failed to understand much of what he was being told and I felt I was really left out of things unless I happened to be there at the time. We were both in utter dispair after two weeks.

What a breath of fresh air when he got to South Petherton he became a person again. The staff treating him as a human being, not making a fuss about the occasional accident and all talk became of how much he could do not what he could not. I was involved in all aspects of his care and treatment the staff making sure we BOTH understood what was happening and why. We know that things are not always perfect mistakes happen, staff shortages occur it is how these things are dealt with that matter. We do not believe the nurses are different many of them having previously been at Yeovil. Having spent a lifetime in industry we both know that the atmosphere and strengths come from the top down, well done Matron, always about and happy to speak to all staff, patients and carers you have/are creating a fine example of how a hospital should be run, for the benefit of the patients.

Response from Alison Male, PALS Officer, Yeovil District Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

It is saddening to read your story about your husband's experience at Yeovil District Hospital. The Trust strongly supports the principles of iCARE around Communication, Attitude, Respect & Environment and takes all feedback very seriously.

We would like to work with you to resolve your concerns and would ask you to contact Ali Male, Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) Officer on 01935 384706.

Response from Lucy Nicholls, Development Officer, Somerset LINk

Thank you for taking the time to share your story.

The Somerset LINk (Local Involvement Network) is a patient-led group that is run by volunteers in Somerset. Our job is to monitor local health services and social care services and to make sure that they are meeting the needs of people in Somerset.

I'm sorry that your experience at Yeovil was so distressing. Whether or not you wish to take this further with the hospital, please be reassured that we read all of the stories posted by patients and carers on Patient Opinion and we use these to inform our work and to monitor hospitals and other health services in Somerset. I'm glad that your experience of your husband's care at South Petherton was more positive.

I hope that you and your husband are now getting the support and care that you need.

Thank you again for sharing your story.

Best wishes,

Response from Karen Howard-Grenville, PALS, Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Birdseye

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience of South Petherton Hospital on the Patient Opinion website.

I am delighted with your very positive experience as all my staff work very hard to enable patients to be themselves and achieve their potential and it is lovely to have feedback that confirms this is happening. I will share this with all the nursing and rehabilitation staff at our next ward meeting.

Many thanks,