"No communication about delay at New Victoria Infirmary"

About: New Victoria Hospital (Glasgow)

On arrival, service was very good. However, unknown to patients who were waiting, the consultant had been called out to an emergency. I sat for over 2 hours before we were told why there was a long delay. Naturally we appreciate the obvious hold up, but I think we should have been told earlier. I was in the hospital for over 3 hours for a short eye test. Everything else was very very good. Circumstances were to blame for the delay.

Response from Paul Cannon, Head of Administration, Acute Services Division, Greater Glasgow & Clyde NHS

Very many thanks for your kind and thoughtful remarks about the service, I am sure that the staff in the unit will be thrilled to read these comments.

I was very sorry however to read that there was a delay in you and other patients being informed of the difficulties being expereneced in the running of the clinic on that day, caused, as you say, by the Consultant being called away to deal with an emergency. It is certainly good practice to keep all patients who are waiting up to date when these types of scenarios arise. I am sure that when staff read your very kind feedback they will reflect on your experience and redouble their efforts to keep patients informed of any delays, as often as they can.