"Excellent experience at short stay surgery unit in Oswestry, Shropshire."

About: Robert Jones & Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital / General surgery

In mid December, I experienced the first class team and facilities in the Menzies Short Stay Surgery Unit – it was just marvellous!

Under general anaesthetic, I had the ulnar nerve in my right elbow transposed, with a resulting 12 neat stitches and immediate relief from symptoms.

From leaving the waiting area to the point of being told I could go home, I felt that I was in very safe hands in a premier operating and recovery unit.

Everything was pristine and ship-shape whilst being friendly yet professional. After changing into my gown, I was even given a complimentary patient property carrier to store my extra bits and bobs.

My consultant, Miss Katrina Lewis, came to see me before I went into the anaesthetic room, as did the anaesthetist. The process was swift but calm and controlled. The whole clinical team, from the HCA to the consultant, thoroughly reassured me before I ‘went under’ and a nurse was readily on hand when I woke up with my arm elevated.

After a cold drink, followed by a hot one, I moved to the sit down recovery area for a choice of sandwiches, more tea and a chat with the other patients.

Just four hours after arriving, I was on my way home, with a supply of painkillers dispensed on Menzies and a list of who to contact if necessary.

This short stay experience of Menzies at Oswestry's orthopaedic hospital is surely the way forward - after four previous overnight stay operations, I can highly recommend it!

Response from Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic and District Hospital NHS Trust

Thank you for your comments. The Trust is delighted to hear that your experience was so positive. Your compliments will be passed on to the staff involved in your care. The Trust aims to provide high quality services for all our patients.