"Friendly and efficient, put me at my ease"

About: York Hospital

I went in following an eye injury, not sure if there was still something embedded. I had first gone to the walk in centre but was told they could not deal with eyes so I needed to go to A&E, even though I felt this wasn't really something I should be wasting A&E time with. The reception staff were very kind, and reassured me I was right to be getting it checked out. The published wait time was 1 hour for minor injuries, but I was called within 5 minutes. The nurse was very friendly and thorough, and quickly removed the object which was indeed still in my eye, and sent me off with antibiotic drops. Including our trip to the walk in centre whole thing took less than 90 minutes.

signage outside A&E is confusing. One sign says Emergency Dept but immediately underneath on red sign (that stands out more) says Orthopaedics only - thought at first ED had moved.

Response from York Hospital

Thank you very much for your response. Your comments have been passed to the teams concerned. We are pleased that your visit to us was very positive; our aim is to provide a high standard of service which reflects the needs of patients.