"Shocking"

About: Leeds General Infirmary

On attending the Emergency Department at the Leeds Infirmary, I had an eye opening experience of the lack of care given by most Staff nurses and allied health professionals.

The environment was clean and was attended to during my visit by domestic staff. On been called through by a nurse and taken to a room I was unsure whether I was still in the Emergency department as all the staff apart from the doctors and reception staff called it A&E witch I thought was an outdated term and at that time another less serious department.

My feedback to the management in the Emergency department is to ensure staff are using the same abbreviations as the signs illustrated “Emergency Department” in the department, as this would reframe other patients been confused to what the department is designed for, this would also educate the general public to the correct use of the urgent and critical service you provide and tern A&E to the correct term of ED.

Response from Becky Riffel, NHS Leeds

Thank you for taking the time to share you experience on Patient Opinion. I was sorry to hear about your negative experience, and the problem with the naming of the department.

I will make sure that you comments are passed on to the patient relations manager at the hospital.