"Shocked by my brother's care before he died"

About: Scunthorpe General Hospital / Clinical haematology

(as a relative),

My brother was seriously ill for over three months before being diagnosed with lymphoma.

His body was covered in weeping ulcerations that were particularly deep around his groin area. He was virtually unable to walk and bedridden most of the time.

On one particular visit to Ward 23 I was shocked to find his commode had been removed several days earlier and he was required to use the wards communal toilet. This exposed his wounds to any infection. He was told someone else needed the use of the commode more than himself.

I also found that he had resorted to dressing his own wounds himself because some of the nurses seemed incapable of administering treatment to his ulcers for the correct amount of time, resulting in frequent burning to his ulcers. It was later discovered they were using the wrong type of treatments anyway.

He had also taken to showering himself to keep his wounds dry and the water at the right temperature as some nurses seemed incapable of either. After finally receiving the correct diagnoses he began chemotherapy two weeks ago on a different ward where the nurses were outstanding and a credit to their profession.

However, after initially responding well to the first treatment he contracted MRSA in his lungs. I spent this weekend watching him die a horrible slow death, all thanks to an unclean hospital.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Northern Lincolnshire and Goole NHS Foundation Trust

Providing quality care for our patients is fundamental to our hospitals' philosophy of care.

As such we were concerned to read this and would ask the family to contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service to ensure this can be investigated fully. They can be contacted on 01724 290132 or Grimsby 01472 875403.