"Absolutely disgusting."

About: Sunderland Royal Hospital

Staff were appalling - did not clean the room properly. I saw twice when I visited bloodied medical swabs on the floor and my grandmother's bed. Staff rarely responded to her quickly, and when asked to clean out potty in her room they at times took over to 6 hours to do so which is quite frankly disgusting. The staff were not overworked as the female workers were sat in the corridor half the time having a chat. The doctor delayed releasing her for 2 days purely because he didn't get round to seeing her. In a week she was not washed nor given any provision to wash herself. The female workers were the most unprofessional I have ever seen - including one who came in to do tests with a lollipop in her mouth. Everything about her care was substandard to the point it came across as negligent. I am absolutely disgusted by the level of service as it seemed nobody cared less about her as she was elderly.

Response from Sunderland Royal Hospital

We would be grateful if you could contact us at corporate.affairs@chsft.nhs.uk so that we can try to address the issues which you have raised in your email above.