"Access to patients and other matters at Forth Valley Royal Hospital "

About: Forth Valley Royal Hospital / Accident & emergency

(as a friend),

My friend who is in his 90's was taken to hospital after a fall, but he was not injured--it seems that nowadays just being old is sufficient reason to detain one even against one's will!

I phoned the hospital to try and find out his condition, and on revealing the fact that I was not a relative, I feel I was treated with utter disdain---I could not even find out which ward he was on-------This 'pantomime' continued till the following day when they sent the police to my door to tell me to stop phoning.

Response from Arlian Mallis, Person Centred Health and Care Co-ordinator, Department of Nursing, NHS Forth Valley

Thank you for posting your experience , I hope your friend is recovering from his fall.

I appreciate that you must have been concerned about your friend and understand that you must have felt frustrated when you could not get information about him.

In NHS Forth Valley as with all other NHS establishments, we are bound by strict confidentiality terms and conditions. If a person is admitted to hospital their next of kin (or nominated person) is our point of contact.

Its very unfortunate that staff felt the need to involve the police, this is a decision which is never taken lightly, and only in extreme circumstances.