"3 hour wait at Musgrove Park Hospital, for a 5 minute procedure!"

About: Musgrove Park Hospital / Ophthalmology

Musgrove Hospital – I was told to arrive no later than 10.00am. They took my medical history (10 mins) repeated (10 mins). There were 2 patients in bed, 2 very elderly patients in wheel chairs, 1 other and me. The 2 in bed had had injections. 12.00 noon arrived - 1 elderly patient went down. 12.10pm and the 2nd elderly patient went down. 1.30pm I went down. This was a wait of over 3 hours for a 5 minute procedure!

On another occasion I was the designated driver for another patient who was going in for a cataract op. We live over 20 miles from Musgrove. We were told to be there at 8.15am (through rush hour so had to leave at 7.00am) I had to take him (in his 80s). He was not seen until 1.30pm, then had to wait until after 2.00pm. It was too far to go home and there was nowhere to wait.

Why not call and say half of the patients could come at 8.15am and the other half at 11.15pm. Nothing happened after registration until 1.30pm.

Response from Lucy Nicholls, Development Officer, Somerset LINk

This story was submitted from a Somerset patient as part of our 'Patient Stories' project. As the 'patient voice' organisation for Somerset, the Somerset Local Involvement Network (LINk) is gathering stories from patients across Somerset in order for us to understand more about health services in the county.

I'm sorry that you were frustrated with your experience of Musgrove Park Hospital. We will be passing your story onto Musgrove Park Hospital and we will ask for their response.

Thank you for sharing your story.

Best wishes,

Response from Martine Price, Head of Patient Experience, Taunton and Somerset NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for sharing your experience at Musgrove, I am sorry you had such a long wait for a quick procedure. Your feedback has been given to the Ophthalmology team , who are sorry and do recognise the problem. They are looking at ways they can stagger the times they call patients to attend.