"Thank you to Bernard the porter"

About: Kent & Canterbury Hospital / General surgery Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital / General surgery

I took myself into A & E via taxi one morning three months ago (september 2011) with severe stomach pains.

My care from the time i arrived until i was discharged much later in the day was excellent. In particular, a porter who wheeled me down to the scanning department and back again, and helped me later to locate a phone to ring my husband. I believe I heard another porter refer to his name as Bernard.

At a time when i was on my own and very frightened of what was wrong with me, his kindness, concern, calmness and professionalism was exactly what i needed at that particular time.

So well done to him. He obviously takes great care and pride in his job.

Response from Steven Hams, Deputy Chief Nurse and Head of Quality, East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am delighted that you had a positive experience and that our portering staff were kind and compassionate, it’s great to hear. I will pass on your comments to the portering staff who I know will be pleased with your feedback.

Thanks again for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, we very much appreciate it.