"A new weight loss service"

About: NHS Ayrshire & Arran

I was contacted by my local Health Board and invited to take part in their "Keep Well Health Check" being offered to patients between certain ages, by Ayrshire Community Health Team. I decided to go along as I'd had one or two health problems in the last 12 months that had affected my ability to carry out my usual day-to-day activities.

I was seen at my local GP practice by two community nurses who asked me all manner of questions as well as checking my cholesterol, blood sugar, blood pressure and weight. They offered sound advice to help me deal with my problems but moreover they offered a referral to WeightWatchers which has enabled me to start a much needed weight loss programme.

Five months later I weigh over two and a half stones less, have more energy and feel fantastic. I wasn't aware my local NHS offered this service but I am very glad they did.

Response from Diane Graham, Patient Focus & Public Involvement Manager, Nurse Directorate, NHS Ayrshire and Arran

Thank you for your feedback.

The Keep Well team are delighted that you found the health check beneficial and the advice given helpful. We would like to congratulate you on loosing so much weight.

You may be interested to know that over 8,000 people across Ayrshire have now received a Keep Well health check since the Programme began in 2008. NHS Ayrshire & Arran will be continuing to provide this service to thousands of people over the coming years and we hope they all get as much benefit as you have.

Keep up the good work.