"Not informed enough!"

About: Sentinel Healthcare Southwest Community Interest Company / Referral & Appointment Booking Team

Told what was wrong with me, what needed to be done, the appointment was made quickly.

Not told if treatment will be done on visit to hospital or will I make a 40 mile round trip just to be told what my GP has already told me and then expected to travel back to hospital at a later date for treatment?

After GP has said what treatment you need and done health checks letter from hospital should tell you if your treatment will be done on your first appointment or not.

Response from Neil Parsons, Business Manager , Clinical Assessment and Treatment Services, Sentinel Healthcare We have made a change

Dear lead380

Thank you for sharing your story and the experience of your appointment.

Firstly I am pleased that your appointment was made quickly, however I was sorry to hear that you experienced frustration at having to return again to hospital for your treatment. For major surgery it is of course necessary to give patients and the hospital time to prepare for surgery, however for certain minor operations it does seem sensible to organise treatment on the same day as the appointment, I know local health commissioning teams are continually striving to develop these 'one stop shops' to reduce the need for patients to return for treatment. I would be happy to anonymously share your experience with them.

Sentinel itself is also striving to reduce unnecessary appointments for patients by working with consultants from the local hospital to provide GPs with management plans and advice to manage the patient’s condition, although this is very new the outcomes are very encouraging. I also recognise that for surgical interventions this would be inappropriate.

Finally following your e-mail Sentinel have made changes to our outpatient appointment confirmation letters to patients, we do provide 'one stop' treatment services and have now added details that informs patients that if required they may be offered treatment on the same day, this should inform patients more about their appointment visit.

Once again let me thank you for sharing your story.

Best wishes