"Great staff, apalling waiting times."

About: St James's University Hospital

The four people that I saw were great (from reception to doctor).

The waiting time was apalling. I was kept waiting an hour for the appointment to start (between receptiopn, and seeing the first member of clinical staff). Why? Why could I not just have been asked to come three quarters of an hour later. The clinic was obviously busy, but they knew that it would be busy - they had all the notes for the outpatients there. This feels like I was there just to make sure the staff had no gaps, but with no thought at all about the fifty plus people who were kept waiting.

There is a sign up saying that patients may expect to wait up to two hours to see the doctor. In other words, they EXPECT to keep people waiting. This feels like a lack of care about the needs of patients, and whether that is intended, that is what it is in practice. There is no obvious reason for this treatmet.

Response from NHS Leeds

Thank you for sharing your experience and apologies for the delay in responding.

I was sorry to read about the length of time you had to wait for your appointment, but it was good to read that you were happy with the staff you saw.

I shall pass your comments onto the Patient Experience team at the hospital.