"Great hospital with good facilites."

About: Rotherham Hospital

Treated well by all the staff. Excellent hygene with access to soap dispensers, vending machines and free drinking water.

This is more of a complaint to the NHS in general, but I don't know where to direct it to. I feel that my brother wasn't given sufficient advice on taking care of his broken wrist. His doctor gave him a cast, a sling and some exercises.

He was given a leaflet that has unfortunately been lost. It told him to take some painkillers and to keep the affected limb elevated. It failed to mention that he should drink lot's of milk & avoid alcohol and cigarettes. I tried to tell my brother these things but he wouldn't listen as it hadn't come from a doctor. I do not blame the doctor for this, as I feel the leaflet should have contained this advice. I think the leaflets need updating with mentions of calcium, no alcohol and no smoking, to ensure better fracture healing.

I have been there numerous times myself and the treatment I received was excellent.

Response from Grace Oldfield, Patient Involvement Manager, Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Anonymous, thank you for telling us about your positive experiences of our hospital and we are pleased to learn that when you have visited you were treated well and that we met your expectations with regard to cleanliness and the facilities we provide. However, we are concerned to learn that you didn’t feel your brother was given sufficient advice on how to look after his fracture and that the leaflets provided did not contain appropriate information. You do mention that this is a comment for the NHS in general but if it does apply specifically to information we provided, then please provide more details and we will look into your concerns and come back to you in the near future.

Best wishes,

Grace

Dear Anonymous, I have now heard from the Matron for Orthopaedics who has had an opportunity to look into your concerns about the contents of the information booklet that was given to your Brother, which you felt was not informative enough to help him look after his fracture. We are able to clarify that the information provided in the booklet is about the short term care of a fracture and the advice you felt was missing is more about the longer term aspects of bone health. As an organisation we have been praised for the quality of our patient information leaflets/booklets which are reviewed on a regular basis and we are able to confirm that when the booklet is next due to be reviewed we will take into account the comments you have made and add some further information about general bone health as well.

Best wishes,