"Demeaning treatment of a disabled patient"

About: University Hospital (Coventry)

My brother, who has cerebral palsy, had a brain biopsy yesterday. During the night another patient came into his cubicle - this caused him distress and concern - he was frightened. He had a toileting accident and his bed was changed. He had a 2nd toileting accident and the nurse called him a 'baby' and he was made to lie in his wet bed until the morning. He is being discharged tomorrow; we can't wait to have him home so that we can provide him with appropriate care. How can a 'nurse' demean a patient in such a way? They are nothing short of a disgrace to their profession.

I notice that other comments have received replies and neither of mine have. Why not? I would expect a response from someone of authority. I await to hear from the hospital.

Response from University Hospital (Coventry)

We take the information you have provided extremely seriously and I have passed the content to the Divisional Nurse Director so that we can look into this and take immediate action. I would ask that you also raise your concerns to the Modern Matron of the Ward your brother is on.

Regarding the previous post, the Trust received notification of your post on Monday morning and I tried to find out as much information as I could to provide you with a detailed response. However as I said in the response to your first post it was difficult because of the lack of personal detail.

Response from Daniel Ibeziako, Communications Manager, Communications, University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Trust

The Trust believes that all patients should be treated with dignity. As soon as the incident concerning your brother was brought to our attention we carried out an investigation and the member of staff is being dealt with through our disciplinary procedure.