"Oxford Corner did a brilliant job"

About: Addiction services (community) / Oxford Corner, Specialist Alcohol Team

(as a service user),

“I’ve been using the service at Oxford Corner for about 8 months. My story is that I was made redundant from a sales job because of the recession and spent a lot of time lying about at home, bored and depressed. I began to drink and fell out with my wife over my laziness and left home to sort my alcohol problem out. In three weeks I lost my job, wife and home.

I want to start again now and have the enthusiasm to try it – to try anything really, from exercise to working at a job again.

If Oxford Corner wasn’t here I would be in my bedroom drinking 16 pints per day. They have done a brilliant job and got me down from 16 to 4 pints of Stella per day. The one-to-one meetings are brilliant and having the support to know that I don’t have to do it all by myself helps me work on my depression which was the trigger for my drinking. They give me the option of seeing somebody every day.

I have just come out of hospital and, at the moment, am sleeping at my parents who also give me support. Today I started medication which cancels out the effect of the alcohol so there is no point taking it.”

Your story is inspirational. It was so good to read that you are getting your life back on track with the help of Oxford Corner. I will pass on your story to the staff.

Keep on going. Well done,