"A 2.5 hour wait culminating in a rude doctor and..."

About: Western Eye Hospital

The receptionist in this A&E was extremely polite and helpful - she directed my questions and never once made me feel like I was taking up her time. I cannot say the same about the doctors and nurses.

I was seen by a doctor, who unfortunately had the most appalling bedside manner that I have ever encountered. He wanted to get me in and out as quickly as possible and had very little regard for any questions I had about my treatment. I have a recurring eye problem and wanted to seek help from a professional - instead, I was made to feel as though I had not been taking my problem seriously (I promise you, I have been in regular contact with my opthamologist in the US, my native country). The nurses barely spoke to me and when they did, one laughed at my inability to read the bottom line of the eye chart - a problem directly related to blurriness in my right eye due to this condition.

Overall, I was made to feel like a burden on the hospital, rather than a patient in need of proper care and attention. I would never recommend this hospital to anyone in need of serious medical attention - I walked in scared and walked out feel like less than human. I became extremely emotional upon leaving because I felt that no one wanted to listen to my questions or concerns. I understand that this healthcare is free and therefore I shouldn't expect the same degree of aide as in a private hospital, but I at least expect a smile, a comforting and reassuring manner and attention beyond the most basic levels of "care." This is, after all, a people business.

Response from Western Eye Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. The Trust is very disappointed to hear of your experience at the Western Eye Hospital and we sincerely apologise for the distress this caused. This is not the experience that we aim to provide and it would be helpful for us to be able to investigate the specific issues you have raised. If you would like to please contact our Patient Advice & Liaison Service on 020 3312 7777 or email pals@imperial.nhs.uk