"A personable and professional nursing team who..."

About: The Heart Hospital

I was admitted for a replacement pacemaker. At all times I was treated with courtesy and kept informed of what was happening. I wanted to specifically mention my nurse who in my opinion had exactly the right manner - friendly, competent, caring, polite and professional - he also had a great sense of humour. I could not have been looked after better; he even carried my bags downstairs when I was discharged. Exemplary conduct - it was a pleasure to meet him so please pass on my thanks to him.

The surgical team were also excellent - very personable and competent, including my surgeon who also took the time to have a quick chat when I was waiting to go home in Reception.

The lady on Reception when I arrived was not particularly friendly; she seemed tired of helping people. The man on Reception the following day was distinctly unfriendly. However a different lady was on when I was discharged who had a better manner and was helpful.

The Reception staff are the first contact we have on arrival and they are directly representing the hospital. A reasonably friendly welcome is not too much to ask for that role and actually it is important as it can directly affect how a patient feels - it can make a big difference.

I observed a bed being prepared for the next patient and was pleased to see how carefully this was done in relation to hygeine. The plastic mattress was wiped over very thoroughly - no short cuts - and this gave me confidence in the overall cleanliness of the hospital.

Response from The Heart Hospital

Thank you very much for your comments on your care at The Heart Hospital, we were very pleased to hear that you had such a positive experience and that, on the whole, you found our staff to be helpful and friendly. I have fed back your comments in relation to reception to the manager of the team as I agree that this is an important place to make patients seem at ease.