"Missed my broken nose at Good Hope Hospital"

About: Good Hope Hospital / Accident & emergency Good Hope Hospital / Radiology

I had a fall whilst out at my local garden centre in June, and hit my face on the ground. I was taken to the small accidents department at A&E in Good Hope Hospital, from which I was transferred to the x-ray department.

After I had my x-ray, a doctor informed me that there was nothing broken, and there was nothing further that could be done, so I could go home. The nurse dressed my nose, and gave me a tetanus injection. All the while I was in a lot of pain, my head was hurting, and two black eyes were coming up.

A few days later, still in a lot of pain, I went to see a nurse at my local clinic as there was pus coming out of my nose. I was later seen by another doctor who said that my nose was badly broken!

What I would like to know is why wasn't my broken nose picked up on when I was at Good Hope? It's August now and I'm still in a lot of pain - I feel like I've been hit across the face with a plank.

Response from Iona Belgrove, Patient Services Manager, Heart Of England NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Spiller 814

Many thanks for your e-mail that your posted.

I am very sorry to hear of your experience of your treatement when you visted one of our Trust in June 2011.

You explained in your e-mail that you are still experiencing pain.

Could you please call the Patient Services department on 0121 424 1212/0121 424 7889 to discuss your case in more detail.