"7 weeks before I receive an appointment"

About: Devon Access and Referral Team (DART)

At the beginning of August my GP referred me to Exeter (RD&E) Hospital Orthopaedic Dept.

A week later I receive a letter from DART inviting me to contact them to make appointment

4 days later I ring DART who advised no appointments available in next 6 weeks so my details forwarded to RD&E for direct booking. Advised to hear in week or 10 days.

Rang DART today to ask how much longer to receive appointment. Told up to 4 weeks.

This means waiting up to 7 weeks to receive an appointment!

Response from Susan Pearce, Project Support Manager, DART (Devon Access & Referral Team), NHS Devon

Dear ‘couple-paste’,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, it is really important to us that we find out how patients feel about our service so that we can work to improve it.

I would also like to apologise as I realise that it is very frustrating to have to wait such a long time to receive an appointment. Unfortunately, there are some services at local hospitals that become fully booked and we have no more appointments to offer to patients. When this happens, we have no option but to pass your details over to the hospital in question and they will send you an appointment as soon as they can. I can assure you that all patients will be seen in turn as a record is kept of when your referral is made so each patient is seen in turn.

If you have any further issues regarding your appointment, please phone our patient helpdesk on 01626 883888.

Kind regards,