"Warm and friendly environment"

About: William Harvey Hospital

The Staff Nurses were happy and smiling all the time. They deserve a lot of credit for the patience they have.

A few of the night nurses were a bit grumpy and rude. I understood that it was night and they were tired but a few woke patients up and disturbed them. I know they are only doing their job but they were a bit rough considering it was the middle of the night.

Response from Steven Hams, Deputy Chief Nurse and Head of Quality, East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for your feedback, our nurses always aim to provide the best patient care, which is compassionate, friendly and personal. I am sorry to hear that the night nurses were a bit grumpy and rude, this certainly falls below our high standards and I am sure when we point out to those night nurses that their approach was seen as grumpy and rude they too would be disappointed.

Sometimes we need to wake poorly patients during the night to undertake observations and monitoring, where possible we always aim to do this as quietly and efficiently as possible, clearly on this occasion we did not meet this high standard.

I have asked all of our ward managers to ensure that their night staff remain professional and compassionate at all times. If you would like to provide us with the name of the ward you were on I would be happy to provide the ward with specific feedback.

Thanks again for taking the time to provide us with your feedback – we very much appreciate it.