"success from cows valve and cardio at Burton "

About: Queen's Hospital, Burton Upon Trent / Cardiology

The first heart valve replacement using a pigs valve didn't work, so Dr Why suggested I have a cows valve. The operation went very well, however the worst part was getting it to heal after the 9 metal straps.

I have regular check-ups now with Dr Why at Queen's and I am very happy seeing him and trusting his suggestions. I would like to thank Dr Why and his secretary Anne Sparey as she is very good when I need to call her. All the nurses and doctors here at the hospital that I meet are very pleasant.

I am now doing cardiac exercise as part of my rehabilitation programme and really enjoy going on the treadmill. You feel safe doing it at a hospital as they know what level you should be going at. I would not feel safe at a gym as I might over-do it.

Response from Adam Prince, Corporate Development Officer, Burton Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Please be aware that your comment has been read and a response will be posted as soon as possible.

Response from Burton Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for your comments. We really value patient feedback and I’m glad to hear of your success with the outcome of the heart valve replacement operation and the subsequent follow-up care.

I will be sure to share your comments with my colleagues here at Burton Hospitals and with my fellow Cardiologists at Glenfield who were involved in your operation.

Please continue to provide regular feedback on your care as this is the best way to ensure that we are meeting patients’ needs and expectations.

Dr Why, Consultant Cardiologist