"Shoulder trauma"

About: Rotherham Hospital / Trauma and orthopaedics

Whilst on holiday in March I had an awkward fall resulting in a dislocated shoulder. Grimsby Hospital put it back and advised contacting my local hospital on return home (Rotherham). A week later I visited Rotherham DGH - in attempting to get an x-ray (despite Grimsby providing a set) and they dislocated it for a second time. Still had restricted movement in May, my consultant ordered an MRI scan. Result (given early in June) showed a torn muscle. Was advised that these things are best repaired within 3 months of injury to be successful. Put on waiting list for operation - said I was willing to take a cancellation. Not having had anything by July, I voiced my concerns to my GP and also to the hospital. 2 days after contacting hospital I was offered a concellation for operation (this was towards the end of July). Care whilst in hospital was excellent. Am now undergoing slow, sometimes painful, recovery with physio sessions at hospital.

My concern was the 4 month delay between injury and operation - won't know if treatment successful for some time yet.

Response from Grace Oldfield, Patient Involvement Manager, Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust

Dear shrub392, thank you for posting your comments on Patients Opinion. I am pleased to know that your care whilst in hospital was excellent and that you are now on your way to recovery. However, we are concerned that you felt your operation wasn't within a time frame you understood to be the most beneficial; for us to be able to respond to that, we will need more clinical details, so may I suggest you contact our Patient Services Department on 01709 304461 in this regard.

With best wishes,