"They have truly changed my life"

About: Adult community services / Continence advisory service

I have found the continence service absolutely fantastic!

I have terminal cancer and I had constipation from all the painkillers, it had become impacted but it was thought that I was incontinent. I wanted to be able to spend time with my friends and family but I was so upset thinking I had become incontinent that I isolated myself.

I knew about the continence service as I used to work on the hospital switch board, so I called them up. I meet Joanne and told her I couldn’t live this and she said she wouldn’t let me. I looked at her and believed her. It turns out that I wasn’t incontinent but that due to the cancer in my spine I was unable to empty my bowels.

I now have my bowels manually evacuated 3 times a week by the continence service. They have also helped clear up my cystitis by providing me with a silver tipped catheter.

I now feel fantastic! I can have my friends over in their jaeger suits drinking pinot grigio. I cannot thank the continence team enough.

My only suggestion is maybe the continence team could link up more with or be part of the palliative care team. I only knew about them through my work and there may be other people like me who are not actually incontinent.

They have truly changed my life.

Response from Grace Oldfield, Patient Involvement Manager, Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust

Dear bubble608, thank you for posting your comments on Patients Opinion web site. Please accept my apologies for not coming back to you sooner. It is good to know that you are happy with the services you have received and I will pass your kind comments and suggestion onto them.

With best wishes,